1) Epilepsy SA Bursary for 2017 / 2018
About The aim of the Trust is to enable people with epilepsy to study at tertiary level and to empower people from marginalised and previously disadvantaged communities.
Who Can Apply Application is open to any student who has epilepsy. Bursaries are available for study at any tertiary institution. Applicants are encouraged to pursue careers for which they have an aptitude, as well as ones that will enable them to find employment on completion of the course. In addition to having epilepsy, the trustees will also take into account factors such as the financial situation of the applicant or their parents, academic performance and community involvement.
Service Contract Must be prepared to participate in epilepsy awareness programmes for the duration of study.
Tel: 021 595 4900/ 021 447 3014
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Syfin House Ground Floor
Apply Ask your local branch of Epilepsy South Africa for an application form.
Contact Epilepsy South Africa National Office at (021) 447-3014 or via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org Complete the form and post it to:
Epilepsy South Africa Educational Trust
c/o Epilepsy South Africa
P O Box 73
OR download an application form online at: www.epilepsy.org.za/new/jobs-training–bursaries/bursaries/
2) NATIONAL STUDENT FINACIAL AID SCHEME (NSFAS) Bursary for 2017 / 2018
About For this bursary programme, provision is limited to the following narrower description of disability, that is: a permanent condition caused by an accident, trauma, genetics or disease, which limits an individual’s mobility, hearing, vision, speech, and intellectual/cognitive functioning
Who can apply South African applicant with disability, in public higher education institution, academically able and financially needy.
Value The bursary will cover the following:
• Actual registration, tuition and examination fees (“the tuition costs”) payable to the Institution, and as charged to the applicant fee account;
• Costs of books and other study materials prescribed by the Institution in relation to the Qualification (“the materials costs”);
• Applicant’s accommodation and meal costs (“the accommodation costs”)1
• Applicant transportation guidelines (read under “the accommodation costs”)
• The costs of providing an assistive device to the Applicant (as per the schedule/cost table attached to this document); and
• With the exception of cases where no other means of cash payment are possible (as is determined in the NSFAS Manual item 5.1), no cash shall be placed in the hands of applicants.
Duration 1 year renewable
Service Contract Beneficiaries of the bursary are required to work in South Africa for a specified period after completion of their studies. Should the beneficiary of the bursary be unable to find employment in South Africa within a 3 month period post-completion, the applicant must apply in writing to NSFAS for a fair exit clause/buy-out clause to be considered (buy-out clause – or fair exit clause);
NSFAS, Private Bag X1, Plumstead, 7801
Tel: 0860 067 327 / Email: email@example.com
Apply Online www.nsfas.org.za/NSFAS/STUDENTS/BURSARIES
3) SACTWU Bursary Scheme for 2017 / 2018
About SACTWU manages South Africa ‘s biggest trade union bursary fund. The scheme offers members and their dependents financial support to study at universities, technikons and certain other higher education institutions.
Who can apply SACTWU members, their husbands or wives, their children and legally adopted children, as well as staff members can apply for a bursary. The bursary is paid directly to the university, technikon or college. The educational institution must be registered with the National Department of Education.
Value The bursary does not cover 100% of the fees. For universities, it pays 75% of fees up to a maximum of R35 000 per annum. The student must pay the remaining percentage of the fees.
Closing Date 28 February annually
James Bolton Hall
127 Gale Street
SACTWU Bursary Department
PO Box 18359
Tel: (031) 301-1351
Fax: (031) 305-1039
Apply by downloading an application form at: www.sactwu.org.za/bursary