Electrical Engineering Bursaries in South Africa for 2018
Electrical Engineering as a career path
Electrical Engineers design and develop new electrical systems, as well as test equipment and solve problems. These professionals apply the mathematics and physics of electricity, electronics and electromagnetism to small and large scale systems, in order to transmit energy and process information.
At the start of a project, Electrical Engineers define what their new electronics should be able to do. They will proceed to design circuits and components of the electronics with a computer. The next step involves creating a prototype, testing whether the product works as intended and making adjustments to improve it. Electrical Engineers figure out problems with their devices and make the product work.
What type of devices do Electrical Engineers design?
They design various devices, including:
- Mobile devices, tablets, computers, smartphones
- Specialised medical technology used in hospitals, including ECG, blood pressure monitors, CT, MRI and PET imaging machines
- Robots with microprocessors, actuators, sensors and sophisticated feedback control systems
- Space projects, including extra terrestrial GPS for positioning and navigation, robust control systems, deep space communications, imaging systems, power generation and storage networks
What are the various sub-disciplines of electrical engineering?
There are a few different types of career paths in electrical engineering, including:
– Electronic Engineering: this field deals with electronic circuits including diodes, inductors, resistors, capacitors and transistors.
– Microelectronic Engineering: this field deals with the design and micro-fabrication of small electronic circuit components.
– Telecommunications Engineering: this field deals with the transmitting of information via optical fiber or a cable.
– Power Engineering: this field deals with electricity and the design of electrical devices including power electronics, generators, motors and transformers.
– Instrumentation Engineering: this field required a good deep understanding of physics and deals with the design of measuring devices for temperature, pressure and flow.
– Control Engineering: this field deals with the design of controllers that allow systems to work in a specific way via electrical circuits, programmable logic controllers, digital signal processors and micro-controllers.
– Computer Engineering: this field deals with the design of computer hardware and computers.
– Signal Processing Engineering: this field deals with analog and digital signals.
How can I get a bursary for Electrical Engineering?
Here are the companies who are offering bursaries for this particular field of study:
De Beers Bursary
Canyon Coal Bursary
Royal HaskoningDHV Bursary
FNB Fund Bursary
Standard Bank CSI Bursary
….more coming soon